Friday, December 12, 2008

Cadillac Crap??

Sorry for being late on the post guys...but just wanted to say that I saw 'Cadillac Records' last week and I must say, I enjoyed the movie.



Going into the theatre, I didn't know Mos Def and Cedric the Entertainer had very large roles in the film. So did Gabrielle Union.



Marketing-wise, the movie was all about Beyonce.



I have nver been a big fan of Beyonce. I think that she is a cute black girl who can hold a note, is a good performer and she appeals to white America. Is that talent? I don't know...



I understand marketing and the attempt to use Beyonce in blockbuster films to sell records but it hasn't worked in ANY of her films. She can't be credited with Dreamgirls because it had an all-star cast.



Well, I was impressed with Beyonce's (SMALL, SMALL) role in Cadillac Records...but the numbers show that people weren't running to the theaters to see Sasha Fierce.


Here is what Myra Panache had this to say about Hollywood producers giving a non-talent like Beyonce prime movie roles:


Beyonce being cast as Etta James in “Cadillac Records,” is a perfect example of musical success not transcending into “box office” success. The movie only grossed $3 million dollars. Beyonce also flopped in “The Fighting Temptations,” and she only scored success in “Dreamgirls,” because it was an ensemble cast.
I’m a Beyonce fan but I will be the first to admit, she can’t act and she has terrible diction. Why not cast a “real” African-American actress who has a drama background in this role?
There are so many excellent African-American actresses in Hollywood who could have done justice to the Etta James role yet Beyonce continues to be cast in plum film roles.
She doesn’t even think enough of the acting profession to take classes and learn how to act. Instead, ego and exposure seems to be driving her to land as many acting roles as she possibly can.
Singers, Frank Sinatra, Diana Ross and Cher took the craft seriously and their hard work and diligence paid off with Oscar wins or Oscar nominations.
It’s inconceivable to wrap your mind around Beyonce’s upcoming portrayals of Eartha Kitt and “Wonder Woman.”
Usher was fresh off the success of “Confessions,” when he was cast in the film, “In The Mix,” it was a major flop.
Hopefully, Hollywood executives will begin to realize that these non-actors bring no credibility to the screen and they don’t generate box office dollars with their lack of talent.
(Source)

She said it, I didn't. But I will co-sign on it.

I know my Beyonce fans are hating me right now. lol. I still love you. Love me back.

Muah.

Stay tuned...~E

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails